The Various Symptoms And Treatments For Fire Ant Stings
- 02 05
Everyone reacts differently to insects. Most of the time these reactions are misunderstood and not treated appropriately. When you recognize the difference between allergic and normal reactions towards insects and their bites or stings, anxiety can be reduced and unnecessary medical expenses can be avoided. Insect bites and stings can trigger allergic reactions from acute to severe symptoms.
Lack of knowledge on how to treat the allergic reactions is the primary cause of mistreatment at home. Insect stings and bites are a health hazard and one of the common insect allergy reactions are caused by fire ants.
Acute And Severe Allergic Reactions To Fire Ants
Fire ants are notorious stingers in the ant species and they can trigger an array of allergic reactions that range from acute to severe. These reactions require immediate care and treatment from the moment a person is stung. The symptoms of allergic reactions to fire ants are as follows:
- Breathing difficulties
- Chest tightness
- Vomiting and nausea
- Abdominal cramps
- Itching on sting wound
- Swelling on and around the sting wound
- Difficulty swallowing
- Hoarse voice
- Swelling of the throat and tongue
- Drop in blood pressure
- Cardiac arrest
The more severe symptoms can occur in minutes and they can be life threatening without professional medical care and treatment. Sadly, when a person who has suffered from fire ants allergic reactions is stung again by fire ants, the symptoms may be worse than before.
How To Treat Fire Ant Stings
Fire ants often attack in a single sting, but they can also attack with multiple stings. When they sting, fire ants take a good hold with their jaws and this is why they have to be pulled off from their grip one by one because they can not be simply brushed off while stinging. A lump will develop on the sting site within a few minutes, followed by a small blister within hours. Pus will then fill the blister within 24 hours and this blister must not be opened to avoid infection. This is why scratching must be refrained to avoid a serious case of infection that can only worsen the sting wound. The stung area will also swell for days, but since this is an acute symptom, it can easily be treated through over the counter medication.
You can treat a sting wound by:
- Cleaning the blister with warm water and mild soap
- Taking oral antihistamines to relive itching
- Applying corticosteroid ointments
Protection Against Fire Ant Stings
Unfortunately insect repellants are useless to keep fire ants at bay. The more appropriate protection against fire ants is the application of pest control methods. Since the results of over the counter products can sometimes be disappointing, you can save yourself the effort and the unnecessary expenses by investing in professional pest control treatments.
You can also prevent fire ant stings in your garden by avoiding walking barefoot until professional treatments have been applied. If garden work needs to be done, wearing boots and gloves in the garden can protect your hands and feet from fire ant stings. It is also to your advantage when you store medications and creams for insect bites and stings at home in case of emergencies.
Post a comment
You Might Interested In
- Why Do I have Sensitive Teeth
- Most days, you probably don’t think much about...
- Chewing Gum For Your Mouth's Health
- Ever wondered what effect chewing gum can have on...
- Know About Certain Things That Causes False Positive Pregnancy Test
- Most of the women opt for home pregnancy tests...
- Simple Tips for Vision Care
- It is crucial to realize the importance of...
- How To Look Young Without Spending a Fortune
- The first time, you notice a gray hair or wrinkle...
- Does exercise really cure back pain
- Meditation is the best exercise to get rid of back pain. There...
- By : piercen bell
- What causes dry cracked heel
- While one of the main causes of dry, cracking skin is the arid...
- By : piercen bell
- Saffron, Kesar, kumkumapoo - Health Benefits
- i am asthama patient. how van i use kesar. it is good for my...
- By : velayil
- Pros and Cons of Consuming Beans in your Daily...
- I eat beans regularly, I don't gain weight and I can eat as much...
- By : Em